Sunday 1 May 2011

Time for reflection...

OK, while I'm putting off a bit of particularly annoying refactoring, I thought it may be a good time to post a quick reflection on how far Juggernaut (and I) have come so far.

I quit my previous job (as a technical consultant at a defence subcontractor) on the very first day back this year, because I simply couldn't do it any more. Monetarily it was a pretty good job, which is how I can now afford to do this, but I got no satisfaction from it and the pressure nearly drove me crazy.

I'd been working on the code that became the Juggernaut engine for about a year in my spare time (including long periods of nothing) before then: it initially started out as the engine for a 3D game named Super Robot Harpsichord which, who knows, may one day still get made. However, it quickly became clear that attempting to create a full 3D game on my own was completely infeasible in terms of art assets, at which point I came up with the basic idea for Juggernaut, although it has evolved a lot since the initial conception.

The Super Robot Harpsichord graphic engine at the time when work was stopped.  Notice how everything has the same texture, a constraint that I quickly removed when creating Juggernaut!  The red spheres are a large number of test bullets that bounce around the scene.
So, after fully leaving my last job on the 5th February, I have been working on Juggernaut (more than) full time. It is still quite ambitious (something warned of by MrMacguffin), but I am trying to keep to deadlines, and progress has been rapid.

My original plan was to make a first demo in May, and I think I'm still reasonably on target for that, although it's now going to be the end of May. It's certainly going to be an alpha release rather than a beta, but hopefully it should demonstrate enough of the concepts of the full game to get people interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment